What was June on this podcast? Haa haa! If you just started listening to us this month, then know the show is not always filled with such heavy topics, as the last few were...but in truth, being a 'crafty ass female' means navigating issues such as how social media affects everything we do and how to maintain good mental health and how to be resourceful in a society that still upholds certain sexist social constructs, so let's get to it...
Amanda + Kristin start by defining what feminism is and what it is to them. Spoiler Alert: "GIRLS RULE & BOYS DROOL" is NOT it! Later in the episode, we hear what inspired Kristin to become rukristin: feminist scrapbooker.
The girls also give examples from their real life of times they've picked up SEXIST VIBES while out in the world interacting & discuss how those vibes should not be easily dismissed. They are truths...they are your truth...and are telling of what is going on.
Feminism is about an EQUITABLE (not necessarily EQUAL) amount of importance & regard needing to be dispersed to every human, male or female, in order for them to live up to their full potential.
FAVORITE QUOTE THIS EP //
"It's not about whether or not you NEED feminism...the WORLD NEEDS FEMINISM. If you think it's about YOU as an individual person needing or not needing feminism...you don't get it yet...it's hard when you're trying to explain things to people who don't really see things outside of their own personal lense..." - Kristin
AWESOME LADIES LIVE //
If you love this episode, and would love to be present at a LIVE taping of Crafty Ass Female, come join us at AWESOME LADIES LIVE! This event is a crafty weekend retreat hosted by Kristin and will be happening this year from August 17-19th in East Lansing, MI. Tickets are now available! A + K hope to see you there!
WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT US A WRITTEN REVIEW ON ITUNES HERE.
SHOW NOTES //
• What is feminism?
• Feminism is for Everybody by Bell Hooks
• Kimberlé Crenshaw on intersectionality
• Ali Wong's Ironic Anti-Feminist
• Baby Cobra + Hard Knock Wife
• Harvey Weinstein's accusers
• Salma Hayek's NY Times editorial
• The Rat Pack
• Your Nobody Unless Somebody Loves You
• Standing On The Corner
• Oprah's Golden Globes 2018 speech
• Ina Garten
• The Mask You Live In
• Consciousness-Raising Groups
• Pregnancy as Pre-Existing Condition
• Kristin's insta-story journaling
• mansplaining + manspreading
• Audra Lorde's "Master's Tools"
• THIS IS US
• maternity leave in the U.S.A. compared to the world's other wealthy countries
• virtue signaling
• Handwritten Revolution in IG
• Jen Gotch is OK...Sometimes
• Elsie Larson of A Beautiful Mess
AFTER-CHATTER SHOW //
Head to our Patreon page to sign up to hear A + K get a little bit more personal and vulnerable about feminism and how not having kids in your 30s/40s/ever is an aspect of feminism that many people don't tap into. After-chatter was once again a great place to chat it out. Hope you check it out! xoxo