Today we have THE ONE, THE ONLY Lisa Congdon on the podcast! Fine artist, illustrator and author Lisa Congdon is best known for her colorful paintings and hand lettering. She works for clients around the world, and is the author of eight books, including the her latest: Find Your Artist Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic.
Lisa Congdon starts off by telling A + K about her “early mid-life crisis” and what her really intense desire to be creative manifested into. Lisa then goes into the greatest lesson writing her first book Art, Inc. taught her.
Teaching is also a big part of Lisa Congdon’s creative life. She goes into what she loves about teaching and letting go of the preciousness of her work when teaching students how to “art” using her techniques. Lisa and the girls discuss copying vs. ‘being influenced by’, and how to embrace your own voice, ideas, and “wonkiness”.
Amanda + Kristin pick Lisa’s brain about being personal & political, and using her voice/platform to talk about topics she cares about. The girls discuss putting out messages of self-love, worthiness, self-care and being an influencer vs. being an impacter.
BUY HER LATEST BOOK:
SHOW NOTES //
• The Joy of Swimming: A Celebration of Our Love for Getting in the Water
• Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist
• Tim Gunn on Project Runway
• Workflow, Time Management and Productivity for Creatives by Lisa Congdon on CREATIVE LIVE
• Lisa Congdon’s Creativebug CLASSES
• Austin Kleon’s Steal Like an Artist
• 2016 Presidential Election
• SHOUT OUT to Juli
• Lisa Congdon’s collaborations
• Lisa ON HER NEW BOOK
• What is an artistic voice?
• article w/ 99u
• Lisa’s Store Signs Birthday Card for Emily McDowell
AFTER-CHATTER SHOW //
Head to our Patreon page to sign up for just $5 a month to see Lisa Congdon’s adorable color-coordinated outfitand + hang out backstage with Amanda, Kristin, and Lisa as they chat it up about Lisa’s studio/shop combo! We’ll catch ya there, friends! xoxo