Two months ago, Amanda + Kristin came out with EP. 22 of this podcast about MENTAL HEALTH - sharing their mental health history, what they've learned along the way, & different things that have helped - doing their part to destigmatize mental illness & bring awareness to how the struggle w/ it is 100% REAL and common.
In light of the recent tragic suicide deaths of both KATE SPADE and ANTHONY BOURDAIN, they felt the need to revisit this topic, dive deeper, and offer again - a candid & open conversation about it.
Amanda + Kristin start the conversation expressing their sadness over the loss of the amazing cultural icons Kate Spade & Anthony Bourdain earlier this month.
The girls discuss why it hit them so hard + how we crafty ass females need to reframe how we think about our own struggles in order to get the appropriate help we need.
This episode addresses our 'connection' issue which plays a part, how friends + family of mental illness sufferers can offer empathetic support, & how we might have adapted a 'happy go lucky' persona growing up which has insidiously hurt us in the long run. // Ladies, it's okay NOT to be okay.
FAVORITE QUOTE THIS EP //
"YOU CAN BE SAD AND BE INSPIRATIONAL TOO." - Amanda
AWESOME LADIES LIVE //
If you love this episode, and would love to be present at a LIVE taping of Crafty Ass Female, come join us at AWESOME LADIES LIVE! This event is a crafty weekend retreat hosted by Kristin and will be happening this year from August 17-19th in East Lansing, MI. Tickets are now available! A + K hope to see you there!
WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT US A WRITTEN REVIEW ON ITUNES HERE.
SHOW NOTES //
• Vulture's Anthony Bourdain stories
• Amanda's haiku poems
• Amanda's 'SUFFERING' poem & reflection
• vox.com's article on suicide rates
• Mari Andrew's 'Am I There Yet?'
• How to Find The Right Therapist
• betterhelp.com + talkspace.com
• Selena movie
• Selena Quintanilla
• "You can be sad & be inspirational too."
• Anthony Bourdain is the best white man.
• Anthony Bourdain: "I'M A FUCKING FEMINIST."
• Anthony Bourdain & Asia Argento
• KNOCK KNOCK products
• @jenbilik's caption on suicide hotlines
• Erica's AFTER-CHATTER show
• the facebook data release
• Amanda's 'mind monsters' haiku
• Michele Cushatt's 'I AM' podcast
• Jen Gotch on mental illness HERE | HERE | HERE
• Seriously Business Woman t-shirt
• Jen Gotch is OK...Sometimes
AFTER-CHATTER SHOW //
Head to our Patreon page to sign up to hear A + K get a little bit more personal and vulnerable about mental health. It's such a personal struggle for many of us and this was once again a great place to chat it out.